To Visit My Website

To go to my website, click here.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

What This Blog is About

I love writing. I love to discover new writers and books. I love to learn, and I love to share.

Blogs should have something to offer the reader, and here’s what I intend to offer you.

I’m a voracious reader, and by working with the Speakers Bureau for Sisters in Crime Los Angeles, I’m in a position to discover new writers—writers who may not be on the bestseller list, but should be. Writers who aren’t house hold names but have something to offer. Some are genius at description, other’s make characters come to life. Many are laugh out loud, since that’s what I enjoy.

Until a year or two ago, I enjoyed my Agatha Christie’s and other Golden Age detectives. I didn’t care for contemporary authors. Or so I thought.

When I made a concerted effort to start reading “the competition” as it were, I found out that my prejudices were depriving me of some great books. Since then, I’ve devoured many novels--mostly mysteries--sometimes three per week.

Not only do I study the craft, but I’ve found new authors to add to my “to read” list. While I could with pleasure reread “Murder at the Vicarage” again, it’s nice to have something new to look forward to.

For those of you who write, don’t you find an overwhelming amount of information about writing and marketing? You have to pick and choose, but how can you know without trying it what will work best for your book?

I intend to try various techniques and then let you know how it turned out for me. I’ll share my successes and my mistakes, and hopefully save you some time.

That’s what this blog is about. I would love to hear from you about what’s worked for you…and what hasn’t. Sharing is a wonderful thing.

Now, who the heck am I?

I primarily focus on mysteries. I’m a member of Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, and Public Safety Writers Association. I also write Children’s books and belong to the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.

I have children’s book, Logical Larry, available at Lulu.com or Amazon.

My article about pet psychics appeared in the April 2010 issue of Fido Friendly Magazine.

My short story, The Membership Drive, is in the Best of Every Day Fiction Two Anthology.

My novella, The Groom’s Cake, comes out June 19th through Keith Publications. It’s an ebook, an area I’m very excited about.

I’ve been published by magazines and e-zines such as Orchard Press Mysteries, Dark Reveries, Cantaraville II, Scruffy Dog Review, to name a few.

Like many of you, I have a lot on my plate. Here’s the status: My Pet Psychic mystery is a first draft. My mystery Family Matters is in rewrites after a thorough review by an editor. My mystery The Body Guy is under review by a publisher. I have a Father Brown style mystery that I’m thinking through. I have two picture books that are waiting on illustrators. I have a Young Adult book in first draft stage. I’ve interview a Law of Attraction coach and I think I have several articles there. And that’s off the top of my head.

What’s on your plate?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Swell Online Conference You Might Enjoy

This is a courtesy post for a fabulous writer's conference that I've attended in the past. Check out the class schedule. A lot of th...