To Visit My Website

To go to my website, click here.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

My Christmas Gift to You

I've been off the net for a while. My husband had an accident at work in October, and it's been a whirlwind of hospitals, rehab, and caretaker activity. He's doing nicely.

To celebrate, I want to do something nice for readers this Christmas. Okay. Make that two nice things.

First, I want to give you a list of great new books available on Kindle. These are authors you will love reading; books that will give you the warm, fuzzy feeling you should have during the holidays; books guaranteed to lower your stress level. Books you can gift to your mother-in-law without worries! (If she has a Kindle. If not, you can always give her one for Christmas along with the book and become her favorite In-Law!) They include a variety of mystery genres, so you should be able to find someone who will appeal to your tastes. The second gift is a free copy of my ebook, Family Matters. Leave a comment, and I'll have a drawing on Friday. Make sure I have a way to contact you.

These are authors you might not have heard of yet, but should. Authors I've discovered over the past year or two who delight me!

Marilyn Meredith. Marilyn writes two mystery series, one under the name of F.M. Meredith. Her latest is Bears with Us and features Deputy Tempe Crabtree, a woman of Indian heritage married to a minister. Marilyn's books are straight-forward mysteries that are part police procedural, probably because she knows so many law enforcement officials.

M.M. Gornell . Madeline's latest standalone mystery is Reticence of Ravens. This lady has the ability to put you down in the middle of a story and make you feel as if you've entered another world. You really feel as if the characters have been living a full life and you've stepped into the room as a spectator. Like P.D. James, Madeline finds a location and wonders what would happen if a murder occurred here? Reticence features Route 66, where Hubert Champion must face his past in order to clear an unbalanced but harmless girl of the murder of her father.

Karen Cantwell . Funny. Funny, funny, funny. Karen writes the Barbara Marr mysteries. Barbara is a suburban housewife and mother who's living a bit like Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies. Karen has a holiday short out, It's a Dunder-Bull Wife, so you can try her out, fall in love, and start her series at the beginning with Take the Monkeys and Run.

Karen Ranney .  If you're looking for romance, Karen's your author. Her latest release is A Scottish Love. Her stories feature Scotland, and she blogs at Warm Fuzzies. I love that Karen's books often deal with characters who are difficult to love who have huge obstacles to overcome.

Pam Ripling . Did you say you like romantic suspense? And lighthouses? Great! You can have both with Pam's books, which she writes under Anne Carter. Her latest, Cape Seduction, travels back and forth between Hollywood's heyday and a modern investigation into the decades-old disappearance of a starlet and a twist ending that will shock you.

Kwei Quartey . Inspecter Darko Dawson is a new favorite of mine. These mysteries take place in Ghana, and Dr. Quartey takes us from the struggling modernization of that country to the traditional villages where superstition rules. Children of the Street will hook you from the start. These are characters you will care about.

Jeri Westerson . A dishonored knight, a young thief, and Merry Ol' England. What's not to love? Westerson's Medevial Noir gives us enough background to create an atmosphere, but not too much. You won't feel you're reading a history book. The mysteries weave in and out of historical events and figures, and the characters are easy to root for. Troubled Bones is the latest release.

K.J. Larsen . While waiting for the next Cat DeLuca mystery--Sticks & Stones--why not check out the first--Liar, Liar? This wonderful cast of characters including Cat, the owner of the Pants on Fire Detective Agency, will have you laughing out loud. Written by three gifted sisters, this series in on my list of favorites!

I better stop there.

As for Family Matters, the novel is my first Wilder Women mystery, featuring Roxanne Wilder and her mother, Deanna, and sister, Vanessa. Deanna is addicted to classes at WACKED (Wilton Adult Center for Knowledge & Education), and her latest is Criminal Psychology & You. When the local accountant turns up murdered at the Historic Christmas Walk, Deanna decides to put her textbook to work. Roxanne's job includes keeping her mother from becoming the next victim, an especially difficult task as Roxanne is carting her sister around in a gigantic wheelchair, the temporary result of an unfortunate accident.

Just leave a comment, and on Friday I'll have a drawing for a free copy--either Kindle or Smashwords, depending on your ereader.

Make sure to check out the authors listed above. They are all wonderful storytellers and their books are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of hot chocolate and some Christmas cookies!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the list, Jackie. Can you give us a new one every month? I definitely will try one of these (that I haven't already). Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best of news that your husband is doing nicely. All the best to him!!!

    I'm honored you've included me on your list, and sure hope readers enjoy meeting Hubert James Champion III. He's one of my favorite characters!

    All the best to you and all your blog readers!

    Madeline

    (PS Have Family Matters on my Kindle, can't wait to start! I know I'll enjoy.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madeline, how could I have a list without your books? You are a gifted writer, and I look forward to your next release.

    Jackie, I think I will! There were many authors I couldn't fit on the list, including some oldie but goodies. Maybe a New Year's list?

    ReplyDelete

A Swell Online Conference You Might Enjoy

This is a courtesy post for a fabulous writer's conference that I've attended in the past. Check out the class schedule. A lot of th...